Clear Story has the following position available:
Clear Story, a Pittsburgh-based professional creative services firm specializing in technical production and lighting design, seeks a part-time Assistant Technologist to support our Principal and our Designer/Technologist in their day to day work of integrating complex design with technology in the arts, entertainment, and architectural fields. The ideal candidate will have a theatrical lighting and controls background with additional skills in computer drafting, programming, and networking. The Assistant Technologist will be comfortable with a variety of computing platforms (Windows, macOS, Linux,) as well as hardware, software, and audio/visual systems. The Assistant Technologist must also be willing and able to participate in field/site work. We seek a candidate who has a multitude of interests, a desire to master new skills, and an ability to stay up to date with with all aspects of a rapidly evolving technological environment. The Assistant Technologist will report to the Designer/Technologist and the Principal, and also takes direction from the Projects Manager and Business Manager. The ideal candidate for this position needs to be able to maintain a flexible work schedule, including working evenings and weekends as required.
● Understand and implement design factors from engineering sketches, performance specifications and related data into technical drawings.
● Define and manage the process for project file storage
● Diagnose and resolve media system problems
● Maintain a professional and positive attitude and work cooperatively with colleagues and management
● Support multiple project deadlines and changing priorities for deliverables
● Knowledge of drafting principles, techniques and procedures for architectural, construction, and/or entertainment applications
● Knowledge of theatrical, architectural, and entertainment lighting and controls
● Software aptitude: Vectorworks, AutoCAD, Acuity Visual, Dialux, Adobe Creative Suite, Google Apps (Sheets, Docs, Keep), Microsoft Office, Apple iWork (Pages, Numbers)
● Familiarity and experience with computer programming
● Hardware familiarity: entertainment and architectural lighting fixtures and controls, video projectors/signal processors/servers, low voltage power supplies, DMX control hardware, mains electrical system, installation audio systems, etc.
● Knowledge of electrical systems as related to the theatrical, entertainment, and architectural lighting industries.
● Knowledge of audio visual design, integration, and operation
● Ability to multi-task and work well under pressure.
● Ability to stand and sit for long periods of time.
● Bachelor’s Degree or projected graduation date, preferably in the field of Theatrical Lighting
● Ability to read and interpret technical drawings and manuals
● Highly organized with excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Valid PA Drivers License
● Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds
● Comfortability with ladders, lifts, and heights
● Must be able to work evenings and weekends and maintain a flexible schedule
20-25 hours per week with more hours required on a project by project basis.
Please send resumé and cover letter to email@example.com